Last Updated: December 19, 2017
Thank you for visiting Shoestring Collective!
I. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
There are three general categories of information we collect.
1. Information You Give Us.
We collect information you share with us when you use the Shoestring Collective Platform.
- Account Information. When you sign up for a Shoestring Collective Account, we may require certain information such as your name, email address, and date of birth.
- Profile Information. To use certain features within the Shoestring Collective Platform, we may also ask you to complete a profile, which may include your address, phone number, and gender. Certain parts of your profile (like your profile picture, first name, and description) are a part of your public profile page, and will be publicly visible to others.
- Other Authentication-Related Information. To help create and maintain a trusted environment, we may collect identification (like a photo of your government-issued ID) or other authentication information. To learn more, see our Help Center article about providing identification on Shoestring Collective.
- Payment Information. We collect your financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) when you use the Payment Services to make a donation or purchase something from the web store.
- Communications with Shoestring Collective and other Users. When you communicate with Shoestring Collective or use the Shoestring Collective Platform to communicate with other Users, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
- Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us information when you fill in a form, conduct a search, update or add information to your Shoestring Collective Account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, or use other features of the Shoestring Collective Platform.
2. Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of the Shoestring Collective Platform.
When you use the Shoestring Collective Platform, we collect information about the services you use and how you use them.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your interactions with the Shoestring Collective Platform, such as the pages or other content you view, your searches for Listings, bookings you have made, and other actions on the Shoestring Collective Platform.
- Location Information. When you use certain features of the Shoestring Collective Platform, we may collect different types of information about your general location (e.g. IP address, zip code) or more specific location information (e.g. precise location from your mobile GPS). Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu.
- Log Data. We automatically collect log information when you use the Shoestring Collective Platform, even if you have not created a Shoestring Collective Account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the Shoestring Collective Platform (including links to third party applications), IP address, access times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information (e.g., crashes, browser type), and the page you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Shoestring Collective Platform.
- Transaction Information. We collect information related to your transactions on the Shoestring Collective Platform, including the date and time, amounts charged, and other related transaction details.
3. Information We Collect from Third Parties.
We may collect information that others provide about you when they use the Shoestring Collective Platform, or obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Shoestring Collective Platform.
- Background Information. For Users in the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, Shoestring Collective may obtain reports from public records of criminal convictions or sex offender registrations. For Users outside of the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, Shoestring Collective may obtain the local version of background or registered sex offender checks. We may use your information, including your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as demographic data or fraud detection information, from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results or fraud warnings from service providers like identity verification services for our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the Shoestring Collective Platform through partnerships, or about your experiences and interactions from our partner ad networks.
II. HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use, store, and process information about you to provide, understand, improve, and develop the Shoestring Collective Platform, and to create and maintain a trusted and safer environment.
1. Provide, Improve, and Develop the Shoestring Collective Platform.
- Enable you to access and use the Shoestring Collective Platform.
- Enable you to communicate with other Users.
- Operate, protect, improve and optimize the Shoestring Collective Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research.
- Personalize or otherwise customize your experience by, among other things, ranking search results or showing ads based on your search, booking history, and preferences.
- Enable you to access and use the Payment Services.
- Provide customer service.
- Send you service or support messages, such as updates, security alerts, and account notifications.
2. Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment.
- Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct investigations and risk assessments.
- Verify or authenticate information or identifications provided by you (such as to verify your Accommodation address or compare your identification photo to another photo you provide).
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
- Comply with our legal obligations.
- Resolve any disputes with any of our users and enforce our agreements with third parties.
3. Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing.
- Send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your communication preferences (including information about Shoestring Collective or partner campaigns and services).
- Personalize, measure, and improve advertising.
- Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Shoestring Collective or its third party business partners.
III. SHARING & DISCLOSURE
1. With Your Consent.
We may share your information at your direction or as described at the time of sharing, such as when you authorize a third party application or website to access your Shoestring Collective Account.
2. Sharing between Users.
We don’t share your billing and payout information with other Users. If you have applied for volunteer opportunities or you are looking for volunteers, we may share your information to facilitate you finding an organization to volunteer with or a volunteer for your organization.
3. Profiles, Listings, and other Public Information.
The Shoestring Collective Platform lets you publish information that is visible to the general public. For example:
- Parts of your public profile page, such as your first name, your description, and city, are publicly visible to others.
- Public profile pages are publicly visible.
- If you submit content in a public forum or social media post, or use a similar feature on the Shoestring Collective Platform, that content is publicly visible.
Information you share publicly on the Shoestring Collective Platform may be indexed through third party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your Account settings. If you change your settings or your public-facing content, these search engines may not update their databases. We do not control the practices of third party search engines, and they may use caches containing your outdated information.
4. Service Providers.
5. Shoestring Collective Payments.
Shoestring Collective Payments may share your personal information to: (i) provide the Payment Services, (ii) facilitate your use of the Shoestring Collective Platform, and (iii) jointly market products or services to you with other financial third parties with whom Shoestring Collective Payments has a formal agreement. You can unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving such marketing communications in your Account settings.
6. Safety and Compliance with Law.
We will attempt to notify Users about these requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon Shoestring Collective’s property, its Users and the Platform (collectively, “Risk Scenarios”). In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that User about the request after the fact if we determine in good faith that we are no longer legally prohibited from doing so and that no Risk Scenarios apply.
7. Disclosure to Your Organization.
If you have signed up on behalf of or linked your Shoestring Collective Account with an Organization, we may disclose information related to the account to your Organization. Typically, this includes your name, uploaded content, and other related information. At the request of your Organization, we may also disclose this information to service providers engaged by it. In the event of a dispute, emergency, or similar situation involving a booking identified as being for business purposes, Shoestring Collective may also share relevant information it believes is necessary to safely and quickly address the situation.
8. Business Transfers.
9. Aggregated Data.
We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and non-personally identifiable information for industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
IV. OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
1. Analyzing your Communications.
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the Shoestring Collective Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible.
However, occasionally we may need to manually review some communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your communications to send third party marketing messages to you, and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
2. Linking Third Party Accounts.
At this point you may not link your social media accounts to your Shoestring Collective Account.
V. THIRD PARTY PARTNERS & INTEGRATIONS
The Shoestring Collective Platform may contain links to third party websites or services, such as third party integrations, co-branded services, or third party-branded services (“Third Party Partners”). Shoestring Collective doesn’t own or control these Third Party Partners, and when you interact with them, you may be providing information directly to the Third Party Partner, Shoestring Collective, or both. These Third Party Partners will have their own rules about the collection, use, and disclosure of information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the other websites you visit.
VI. YOUR CHOICES
1. Access and Update.
You may review, update, or delete the information in your Shoestring Collective Account by logging into your Shoestring Collective Account and reviewing your Account settings and profile.
2. Account Cancellation.
For information on how to cancel your Shoestring Collective Account, please consult our Frequently Asked Questions/FAQ. Note that information that you have shared with others (like Reviews or forum postings) may continue to be publicly visible on the Shoestring Collective Platform in association with your first name, even after your Shoestring Collective Account is cancelled.
VII. OPERATING GLOBALLY
Shoestring Collective Payments will not share information it collects about you with their affiliates or third parties (both financial and non-financial), except as required or permitted by your state’s law.
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. However, the Internet is not a 100% secure environment so we can’t guarantee the security of the transmission or storage of your information.